Thursday, May 24, 2007

Reflection on Self as a Language Learner

My experiences with learning a second language began in first grade. I remember traveling to the portable classroom where the Spanish teacher was located. Although the small details have blurred with time, I remember a month where she told us the same story every day. The story involved a man coming into a house through a chimney. You could see each of his body parts come through the opening. She had prop body parts that she would tape to the fake chimney in the classroom. In retrospect, the story was reflective of a desire to create an immersion-style classroom using visuals and gestures to communicate meaning. I wish I could remember how the story ended!

In middle and high school, I continued my study of Spanish. My fondest memories are of Señora Pan (Mrs. Baker) who truly lived her love of Spanish in her everyday life. She traveled abroad frequently and hosted exchange students in her home. She used pictures from her trips to highlight the lessons we learned in class. I remember an entire slide show of pictures of store names in Spain. Panadería, dulcería, carnicería… We thought it was a day off, but Señora Pan was a master of sneaking in learning when we least expected it. She just talked and joked with us, using a mixture of natural tenses that always reinforced our recent lessons. Señora Pan’s influence changed my life, leading me to choose the teaching profession.

While in college, I chose to study abroad in Santiago de Compostela, Spain. I was fortunate to select that particular program because Santiago is home to very few English speakers. When traveling to Sevilla and Barcelona, which seemed full of American students, I felt grateful for a town where the focus was not as much on international tourism.

After teaching Spanish to middle school students for four years, I know that I have not maintained the fluency level of my college years. Although my ability to use past subjunctive is shaky, I am an expert on colors, numbers, and TPR vocabulary! To remedy this problem, I have been working hard to read extensively in Spanish. While my students read from my collection of children’s books each week, I read novels that they recognize. They loved to ask me questions as I read Stargirl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Ramona Quimby, Age 8 because they have read these books in English. Although these books are for children, they have the variety of structures and vocabulary I need to grow in my language abilities.

No comments: