Thursday, May 24, 2007

Reflection on self as a language learner

I believe my first exposure to a second languge was in the seventh grade with Mrs. Timmons. I don't know why but there was something that just clicked for me. It wasn't a formal Spanish class, it was called FLEX. The county just wanted students to have exposure to different cultures. So in this program we learned the basic greetings, spent a little time in the language laboratory, and did the common ritual of visiting a Spanish restaurant. When I graduated from 8th grade I received an award for Best Spanish Student!

In high school my Spanish dropped off. My teacher wasn't very enthusiastic as in middle school, so I did enough to get by. It wasn't until college where I blossomed (hehe)into a young adult and discovered that language learning was something of interest to me. I took the basics, Spanish 101..., my first two years. In my junior I began taking advanced courses in the language. I gained a better understanding of both the language and the culutre.

When the opportunity presented itself, I arranged my financial aide and spent a semester in Seville, Spain. Looking back on it now, I wish I studied a year instead of a semester. The time spent immersed in the language and culture are invaluable. Having to use the language as a lifestyle was and is an advantage in learning the language to it fullest. My host family were generous in their hospitality and provided me with every opportunity to partake in cultural activities. I made some friends there who helped me understand the dialect of the region. It was quite difficult to understand Spanish speaking to someone with a heavy Sevillan accent.

After returning from a culture shock, I did the ultimate, I moved into the Spanish house on campus. My friends, including my twin sister, had a good time laughing at me and stating that I never returned from Spain. Whenever I would visit them at their dorms, they would always tell me to go back to Spain (aka the Spanish house). I did not want to loose what I had learned so residing their was my only option. In the house we were to only speak Spanish (a rule that was not heavily enforced). There was also an exchange student from Spain who helped us in carrying on our conversations. Again, this was an experience that was invaluable to me.

Upon completion of college I began teaching Spanish at a local high school. In order to maintain my Spanish I kept my tv on the Spanish channel, and read as much as I could. That lasted about one year and then I decided to aim high with the Air Force. I did not return to my high school, rather I became an ESL teacher for grades K-6. That was fun! To witness their little minds growing and learning due to my teaching is one reason why I have decided to focus my graduate studies on foreign language and ESL.

After four years of going into the blue(I love those air force logo:-) I had no choice but to return to teaching. This profession is the driving force behind my language learning. It disciplines me in maintaining my second language. I often find myself now being more comfortable in speaking Spanish to and for people who are unable to communicate their needs.

Well that's me!

No comments: