Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Learning Strategies Diary

5/25/07

Situation: Substitute teaching assignment

Metacognitive Strategies: I used the strategy of planning/organizing to learn the lessons plans by reading the notes left by the absent teacher. I also rehearsed the plans step-by-step.
I managed the learning environment by turning off the overhead light and opening the blinds.

Task-Based Strategies: I used yellow highlighter to draw my attention to things I didn't want to forget in the written plans.

I accessed two information source when I had to learn the whereabouts of a student in order to pull him out for ESOL instruction.

5/26/07

Situation: Golf Tournament

Metacognitive Strategies: I identified several problems from the outset-I didn't know the pairings(who was playing with whom); I didn't know the layout of the golf course; the leader board seemed like L2 to me!

Task-Based Strategies: I found an information sheet that had the names of the pairings and their tee times. This same sheet had a map of the course. I connected the images on the map to concrete places (water hazards, flags on putting greens, buildings, etc.) I also used the sheet to make connections to the leader board. Thus, I was able to determine the standings and the scores.

5/27/07

Situation: Rolling Thunder event

Metacognitive Strategies: I planned the event by going to the organization's website to get the time and location. I accessed a website with a map of downtown DC to determine which subway station was closest to the planned stakeout. Afterwards, I evaluated the field trip and decided that I would definitely take more water next time and a thicker blanket for resting and picnicking.

Task-Based Strategies: Once we reached the Metro station, I had to calculate the cost of adding value to an existing SmarTrip versus buying a new SmarTrip versus buying a farecard. I used the information that the farecard machine gave me to make my decision. (There was a lot of self-talk going on here.)


1 comment:

Dr. Robbins said...

Hi,
I see you are again using imagery to plan a trip. How was Rolling Thunder?